This Privacy Statement describes how Rentcharlie Inc. handles your personal information for our services on the Rentcharlie Inc. site.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
For Listers, we may collect and store the following personal information:
- email address, physical contact information (including first and last name and mailing address);
- correspondence through the Site, correspondence sent to us, and dispute resolutions;
- computer sign-on data, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the Site, and ad data;
- transactional information based on your activities on the Site, such as renting or listing as relates to your account;
- optional items can include a telephone number and extension, a fax number;
- each listing created by the Lister displays the contact telephone number/web page/ mailing address of the listing person/company. This information does become "public" by virtue of the Rentcharlie Inc. search engine,
For Renters, we gather the following information:
- email address, first and last name, and a zip/postal code (this last item being optional).
We use the Renters information to provide notification to Listers when a Renter has inquired about an item online. The Renter receives a notification if the Lister replies to an inquiry but the Renters email address is never given out. Rentcharlie Inc. does not distribute nor make the information of Renters available in any way. Rentcharlie Inc. may occasionally send out emails to the provided address regarding promotions or news about Rentcharlie Inc.. A Renter can opt out of these emails by selecting the appropriate option on their account page;
- other information, including yet not limited to, IP address and standard log information, and if your information provided cannot be verified, Rentcharlie Inc. may ask you to provide additional information. Additional information may be asked of you via online queries to help verify your information.
- email address becomes the user's login and means by which Rentcharlie Inc. notifies the Lister of Renters inquiring about listings. The email address is never directly revealed to anyone.
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide a safe, efficient, and customized process. By using this Site you agree to allow Rentcharlie Inc. use of your personal information to:
- provide the services and customer support necessary to make for an enjoyable experience while on Rentcharlie Inc.
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and to enforce our Policies and Procedures
- customize, quantify, and improve upon our services and the Sites' content and design
- inform users of targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on member communication preferences and
- to compare information for accuracy and verifiability
- Also note the above section on Third-Party Advertising.
Rentcharlie Inc. may disclose personal information to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, or respond to claims a listing or other content violates the rights of others, or to protect anyone's rights, property, or safety. We may also share your personal information under the following circumstances:
- with service providers under contract who help with our business operations, including but not limited to, fraud investigators and legal advisors.
- with contract service providers brought in to help with such business operations as fraud investigation, and so on.
- with law enforcement officers or government officials as required to handle operations related to criminal investigations of suspected illegal activity. With such an occurrence Rentcharlie Inc. shall release name, city, province, telephone number, email address, User ID history, specified complaints, as well as rental and/or listing history.
- with third parties to whom you have expressly requested your information be sent, or to parties you have been notified of and agree to have your information made available to.
- in our efforts to respect your privacy and to keep the Rentcharlie Inc. community free of disruptive members, and while not limiting the above conditions, we shall not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies, other government officials, nor other third parties without a subpoena or court order, except where we strongly believe such disclosure is necessary to prevent personal harm or financial loss, or to report suspected illegal activity.
Activity Associated with User IDs
Your User ID is displayed throughout Rentcharlie Inc. and is therefore available to the public. All your activities on the Site will be traceable to your User ID. Notices are sent to other Rentcharlie Inc. members regarding suspicious activity and policy violations on the Site and refer to User IDs and specific items. Therefore, if you associate your name with your User ID, the members to whom you have revealed your name will be able to personally identify your activities engaged in on Rentcharlie Inc.. Bear this in mind if sharing sensitive membership information.
Your password is the most important component of your account. You should never reveal your account password to anyone. When creating a password, try to use numbers and letters with no bearing on your everyday life. Example: if you are a huge Beatles fan, avoid Beatle references in your password. Instead, try for something less obvious. Account passwords are a serious responsibility. If you choose to share your account password or other personal information with others, you will be held accountable for all actions taken by said account. If you lose sole control of your password, you must contact Rentcharlie Inc. immediately. You would also be wise to change your password as soon as possible. You could be held responsible for any legally binding actions taken on behalf of your account due to a compromised password.
Accessing and Changing Your Personal Information
Members are able to see, review and change their personal information by logging onto the Site. It is the member's responsibility to update personal information due to change or inaccuracy. At your request, we shall close your account and remove your personal information as quickly as possible, based on your account activity. We will retain personal information from closed accounts in order to comply with any legal requirements, and to prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, assist in any investigations, enforce our Rentcharlie Inc. User Agreement, resolve disputes, and take any actions otherwise permitted by law or necessitated by circumstance.
Your information is stored on servers located in the United States and is therefore subject to all United States security, privacy and other applicable legislation. We treat data as an asset which must be protected. Rentcharlie Inc. makes use of several security methods, including encryption and passwords to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. In spite of this, third parties may unlawfully intercept or gain access to your transmissions or private communications, while other users may abuse or misuse your personal information collected from the Site. While every effort is made to protect your privacy we cannot guarantee, nor should you expect, your private communications and personal information to always remain private. If you disclose your personal security information to others, you put yourself and your account at risk. Remember to protect yourself and your account at all times.